15 December 2015

Christmas Lights

Lion's Festival of Lights (2007)

I LOVE Christmas lights. They are one of my top happy-making things. So far this year, I've just enjoyed the lights in the neighbourhoods as I've driven to and fro but it is worth it to make a special effort to go and see some of the more spectacular displays.  Growing up and living in the northwest corner of Calgary for most of my life means that I had plenty of opportunities to drive past the Lion's Festival of Lights over the nearly three decades they have been on display. 14th Street became one of my favourite routes to take during the month of December and I would drive past as often as possible. Now that I live on the south side of the river, I never get the chance and have to plan a special trip if I want to see them. 


Zoolights are another opportunity to see great lights. I used to be able to convince my neice Madi to do things like this with me. (Wasn't she a cutie) What a fun tradition to have in Calgary. With over 1.5 million lights and 200 displays, there is a lot to see and to do. 

The Airdrie Festival of Lights are a display I've only made it out to a couple of times and both times it was bitterly cold.  A perfect excuse to stop by the bonfire and have a cup of cocoa when you are there. It makes a good road trip with some Christmas carols to make the journey cheery but not a drive that is as easy to make now that I don't live on the north side. 




So last year, I joined friends in a drive through the displays at Spruce Meadows. A few displays, some with music and action,  but the highlight is all the trees to drive past!







Even though those lights are all magical to see, none of these would be my favourite light display. My favourite isn't something that is representative of a scene or highly "designed". My favourite is the enthusiastic home owner who  gets creative in their own front yard. Lots of lights, lots of fun and I have to pull over and take a closer look. Like this very small front yard from a couple of years ago. I found it by just driving a different route home every day and there it was - on a street with only a few lights in a neighbourhood with a lot of renters and seniors mixed together, this little patch of Christmas light heaven. 





As we drove around tonight delivering cookies, I didn't stop to take any pictures but saw a few homes where I will make another trip past before the season is over.

Here's the picture of our cookie delivery packages from yesterday's post. It was wonderful seeing all the people willing to bring in homemade cookies to share with others at what is always a busy time of year.  Most of our Young Women were involved either in rehearsing for the Nativity Pageant or school work but it was a great chance to visit with Kira.



If you want to go find some good lights, check out the Calgary Herald's map (or add your own if you take time to light up your home for others to enjoy!)  Another map can be viewed here.  You could always grab your hot chocolate, head out for the drive and when you find your favourite decorated home, drop off a homemade certificate awarding them Best Lights Display or a plate of cookies!

Where are your favourite lights??

No comments:

nRelate - All Sections